Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Bible Reading

Are there right and wrong ways to do it?

I don't mean Bible study; I know there are a bunch of recommended methods depending on what you want to learn and what you are doing.

But I have never read all of the Bible and I want to. For now, I'm zipping through the New Testament. I started out hunting and pecking, but when that wasn't getting me anywhere, I settled down to a pace of 3-5 chapters a night. I started at the end and read the book of Revelation straight through.

In hindsight, this was probably a mistake, because not only do Biblical scholars disagree on its meaning, but it presupposes a lot of knowledge I didn't have. The thing is, I'm not sorry I started out there; it was sort of a preview of things to come.

Plus, I love a challenge. This trait gets me into trouble sometimes.

Anyway, after the interesting but hair-raising experience of reading the end before the middle, I went back to Matthew and read through the Gospels and am now working through the rest of the New Testament.

When it comes to the Old Testament, I will probably read a few chapters and then switch off with Psalms or Proverbs, because I remember finding Genesis slow going in the past. I do like the translation I'm using, though. The language isn't as poetic as the language in the King James version, but the texts make more sense to me.

2 comments:

Denbigh said...

YOU READ THE ENDING FIRST!?

What is wrong with you woman!?




lol. In some bibles they have a reading guide at the back....
...that's all i've got :P

Stef said...

The last chapter is pretty cool ...