Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Emotion

...is one of the most difficult things for me to write about. That's probably why I'm stuggling so much with putting my thoughts about faith into words - a lot of it is felt as well as experienced objectively, and I get bogged down in the narrative chain of "this happened, then that happened," without trying to break down the feelings and discuss those.

It's frustrating for me, but in a good way.

I get frustrated, too, when people ask me to explain why I believe in God, or what I feel that makes me believe. I want to do a lot of mental arm-waving. "I mean, I mean...just look!" Emotion gets in my way.

When I think about it, though, any emotion is hard to quantify. You can't really prove objectively that you love or trust someone, you just know that you do. You can point to things that demonstrate lovable or trustworthy qualities to you, but those same qualities may not have the same effect on another person.

In the same way, I know that I have faith in God. I feel it. But it's really hard for me to explain it to someone else.

1 comment:

Stef said...

I don't think you have to put it in words, necessarily. It's like trying to describe why you love someone. When it comes out it sounds all gnarled-up.