Sunday, February 4, 2007

Missing church

I missed church today. I have a medical reason for not going, but it's interesting to me that before I began attending again regularly I didn't feel the lack, yet now it really bothers me when I can't make it.

It's not a guilt-thing either. I really love my church, I love the people there, and I get a lot out of going. I feel happy afterwards and I feel like it starts the week off in the right way.

It's funny that it became so important so quickly. I think a lot of the difference has been finding the right place for me; when I was growing up there were things I liked about the church we attended and things I didn't; I felt like I'd been responsible after attending, but also relieved that it was over.

The way I feel now is worlds apart. When I don't go I feel deprived - it's like having to skip dessert rather than getting out of a chore.

(I was going to say "when I miss church now, I really miss church," but that's a pretty dreadful pun. And a punchline wasn't the point of the post.)

No comments: