Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Prayerlets

This is something I do that I haven't really asked anyone about for fear that they'll tell me I'm Doing It Wrong.

Sometimes I just...talk to God, kind of informally. I mean, I do the formal kind of praying too, the kind that has something specific to communicate, but in stressful situations, I shoot little prayerlets to God every few minutes - the way I shoot emails or messages to friends sometimes. (This habit is either endearing or annoying, depending upon your mood and/or point of view, I guess.)

For instance, today. I was stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic in a blizzard, and my normally-45-minute commute took over 3 1/2 hours. I listened to the radio; I called everyone in my cell phone (some people twice). And I talked to God.

Not out loud.

Me: God...You there?
Me: Okay, that was dumb. Of course You are. Got a minute?
Me: ...Oops, that was dumb too. I mean, You're infinite. You made time. Right? I think...I'm going to look that up when I get home...
Me: Wait, that wasn't what I meant to say! I'm rambling, I know.
Me: It's about this blizzard.
Me: I know You have a reason for it, and I know I'm stuck in it for a reason.
Me: Or maybe it's just weather...
Me: ...no wait, that's not right. A reason.
Me: Could You please let me get home in one piece?
Me: ...And everyone else too, I mean?
Me: If it's in accordance with Your design and all?
Me: I think I've moved maybe two feet in the last half hour...
Me: Is this to teach me patience?
Me: If it is, I don't think I'm doing very well.
Me: Sorry.
Me: Amen.

And like that.

It's sort of like IMing with God.

I feel like He answers, too, but I think sometimes He feels rather bemused by me. (Behold my hubris.)

3 comments:

Denbigh said...

ARE YOU THERE GOD? IT'S ME, LID.

k. said...

LOL I THOUGHT OF THAT AFTER I WROTE IT. WHOOPS. AT LEAST I WASN'T TALKING ABOUT...THE STUFF IN THE BOOK.

Denbigh said...

LOLOL